This Community Outreach Toolkit is an interactive manual created by The HSUS’s Pets for Life program and funded by PetSmart Charities. The first of its kind, we’ve designed it to guide organizations through the process of developing and implementing a community outreach program tailored to connect under-served communities with the animal welfare resources, services, and information they need.
The information in this toolkit has the potential to transform communities. We are proud to share it with you and thrilled to be in the company of your organization as we work together to help pets by helping people.
How to use the toolkit
This resource is intended to be used in its entirety as a comprehensive tool, and you can download the complete toolkit in PDF format (84.7 MB). For your convenience, when you need to focus on a specific section, you can download individual chapters listed below.
Cover and Table of Contents Download the PDF (3.27 MB)
1. Introduction Download the PDF (4.73 MB)
2. About Pets for Life Download the PDF (2.10 MB)
3. Testimonials Download the PDF (3.54 MB)
4. Community Assessment Download the PDF (15.31 MB)
5. Program Goals Download the PDF (2.76 MB)
6. Coalition Building Download the PDF (7.20 MB)
7. How to Approach and Talk to People Download the PDF (7.52 MB)
8. Effective Spay/Neuter Outreach Download the PDF (18.74 MB)
9. Outreach Events Download the PDF (8.92 MB)
10. Engaging Faith-Based Groups Download the PDF (3.88 MB)
11. Community Cats Download the PDF (3.88 MB)
12. Dog Training Download the PDF (4.41 MB)
13. How to Build a Sustainable Program Download the PDF (8.96 MB)
14. In Closing Download the PDF (2.17 MB)
Own the complete toolkit
Connect with us
After you've downloaded a chapter or the whole toolkit, please take a few minutes to tell us a few things about yourself »
The Pets for Life Community Outreach Toolkit has been made possible by the generosity of PetSmart Charities.